Fine Arts and Literature
• July 6-Sept. 23: Celebrate American artist Hiroshi Sugimoto at the de Young
museum with this retrospective collection of more than 100 photographs from 1976 to the present. Sugimoto’s black and white photographs explore the themes of time, memory, dreams, and natural histories.
• July 29: Readings by Tao Lin and Stephanie Young, with music and film by Ri Crawford. Join American novelist, poet, and short story writer Tao Lin in his first west coast reading and Oakland poet Stephanie Young.
Brought to you by Pegasus Downtown and New Yipes! at 21 Grand (416 25th St.. Oakland, CA). The show starts at 7pm, $5 admission. For more information, click here
Film and Theater
• July 19 & 21: The 7th Annual Slant Film Festival: Bold Asian American Images
4 Star Theater (Clement & 3rd, San Francisco) and Aurora Picture Show proudly present this eclectic mix of Asian American short films.
Celebrate the Best of Slant DVD Release Party on July 19th at Kearny Street Workshop (180 Capp St., SF). Showing at 4 Star Theater on July 21. For more information, click here
• July 5-22: (Thurs-Sun) Cowboy vs. Samurai, by Michael Golamco
The Asian American Theater Company brings to you this romantic comedy, "Cowboy vs. Samurai," a re-imagination of the "Cyrano de Bergerac" story with an Asian twist. The lives of the only two Asian Americans in the tiny western hamlet of Breakneck, Wyoming are turned upside down when the beautiful Veronica Lee, a Korean American teacher from New York City moves to town. Through irony, humor, and social commentary, "Cowboy vs. Samurai" cleverly exposes the struggle of Asian Americans to find their place in the vast American landscape...and with each other.
Showing at Thick House (1696 18th St., San Francisco). For more information, click here
• July 19: Kickoff the Asian American International Film Festival, New York with Justin Lin’s screening of Finishing the Game.
The AAIFF ends July 28, so get your tickets now
Community and Activism
• July 19: “Wait, is that gravy with my katsu?”
Food fanatics, join Third Thursday’s panel discussion on the authenticity of Asian American dining. Find that great Asian restaurant you’ve been craving for! For more information, click here
• Aug.3: Community Night with the A’s
Watch the Oakland A’s battle the Los Angeles Angels in this benefit game, co-sponsored by Hyphen and the Asian Community Mental Health Services. For more information, click here
• Aug. 4: APA Activist Training and Midwest Summit
Activists, student leaders, community leaders, and volunteers are welcome to join this progressive Saturday training provided by the DNC’s Parag Mehta, Filmmaker Eric Byler and more. Learn the basic tools of organizing including volunteer recruitment, planning events, targeting, phone banking and other useful campaign skills. For more information, click here